Oyster Yachts Southampton
Lead Production Naval Architect
The Lead Production Naval Architect reports to the Head of Design and assists other members of the Oyster design team.
PRINCIPAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Lead a team producing detailed engineering plans and calculations for production.
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE ROLE
1. Produce Weight Estimates and Loadcases for new and existing models.
2. Produce engineering layouts and routing in new and existing models.
3. Produce detailed tooling models, boat joinery and engineering models/drawings.
4. Working within a team of designers / naval architects in order to optimize the overall design.
5. Be able to produce fabrication drawings, including detailed technical drawings, to enable the production yards and external contractors to efficiently produce the yacht and any of its components.
6. Have a clear understanding of marine systems used within yachts.
7. Capable of performing comprehensive structural calculations from both first principles and to class, and verifying those of others in the team.
8. Occasional travel between yards and manufacturing sites.
9. Calculate static and dynamic load cases to drive the design of every aspect of the boat / deck plans / sail plans and to specify appropriate hardware for the boat.
10. Communicate directly with concept designers/stylists to make the concept design suitable for our production line and at a manageable cost.
11. Manage design aspects of external supply chain in conjunction with Project Managers.
12. Along with Head of Design, ensure that the product complies with all relevant Codes and Classifications.
13. Setting and upholding working standards in all aspects of the Naval Architecture team’s operation in agreement with the Head of Design.
14. Manage the team workload; ensuring that brief is understood, work is efficient and output complies with standards, is on time, on budget and fulfils the brief.
15. To be hard working, truthful and conscientious at all times, to be a valued member of the Design Team and undertake any other duties that may assist the Design department, Oyster Marine or Oyster Group.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
1. Degree level Naval Architecture qualification essential.
2. Design and practical experience in the yachting sector.
3. Excellent communication skills.
4. Comprehensive knowledge of yacht production techniques and processes.
5. Able to work with 2D and 3D CAD software including V5 CATIA.
CLOSING DATE: Friday 11th August 2017.
Please email your CV along with a covering letter highlighting your key experience and work history to:
Wayne Huntley: email@example.com and Judy Garrett Jenkins: firstname.lastname@example.org.